Is this link canon? Depends on the relationship.
Since I began posting on Medium and DEV Community, I have learned that it’s a good idea to let search engines know they are the same content on different URLs. I have also just realised that you could let people read what you wrote on Medium without the paywall, and am a little surprised that HTTP/2 is not enabled by default on AWS CloudFront.
- HTML: having a canonical link (
<link rel="canonnical" href="<https://example.com>" />) in your HTML helps prevent content duplication in search engines, good for SEO.
- SEO: to add a canonical link on DEV Community, use the front matter
canonical_url. As for Medium - on your post, open up Story settings > Advanced Settings > check "This story was originally published elsewhere" and provide a canonical link.
- Medium: Friend Link grants free access to your post, find it on your post > Story settings > Promotion > Friend Link.
- AWS CloudFront: distributions don’t support HTTP/2 by default. Check the settings manually, or on CloudFormation, add
- Latency: Hibernia Express / GTT Express is a submarine fibre-optic link that provides latency of under 60 milliseconds, which costed hundreds of millions to complete. Latency can be really expensive.
Thank you for reading and do let me know your thoughts about this post. If you want more content like this to be delivered to you, consider subscribing via Substack: smallpotatodev.substack.com
- RFC 6596 — the canonical link relation: datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc6596
- Google Search Central Blog — specify your canonical: developers.google.com/search/blog/2009/02/specify-your-canonical
- DEV Community — editor guide: dev.to/p/editor_guide
- Medium — about Friend Links: help.medium.com/hc/en-us/articles/360006543813-About-Friend-Links
- AWS CloudFront distribution config with CloudFormation: docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSCloudFormation/latest/UserGuide/aws-properties-cloudfront-distribution-distributionconfig.html
- Hibernia Express on Business Wire: businesswire.com/news/home/20150924005286/en/Hibernia-Express-Transatlantic-Cable-Route-Connects-New-York-to-London-in-under-58.95-Milliseconds